Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In today’s reading Blogging America Chapter 2 "The Blogs in Society", by Aaron Barlow he talks about the rapidly increasing number of blogs that have been appearing in the past year. Within the next two years if Americans keep starting blogs as fast as they are now, there will be over 500 million blogs. The reasons people start blogs are various, some people start them for businesses, some just to rant or rave, others to keep in touch with family far away. The internet and blogging have become a way of relaxing, and to let loose after a long day at work, or at home. There are even a network called BlogHer which promote women to set and accomplish goals by educating and create a sense of community. Although not all blog networks are like this. One woman talked about her encounter with several threats that lead her to delete her blog. It is imperative that people are cautious about what they are posting online.

When I first found out about blogging, through my mother I thought it was stupid. I made fun of her for following random peoples lives, but it wasn’t long before I was doing the same thing. Shortly after that I decided to start my own blog. As stupid as it sounds, you really get to know the people that you are blogging with. What is scary is that anyone can blog, and as talked about in the chapter some people have been threatened on their blog. Some people can get really detailed with their blog, so much that you know where these people live, where they shop and what they look like. But it is also cool just by blogging there are people from all over the world that we can connect with.


Barlow, Aaron. Blogging America. (2008) The Blogs In Society (Chapter 2).

No comments: